Wednesday, July 20, 2011

How to Reuse Swiffer Wet Jet

I was stuck in a bind yesterday.  I was elbow deep in dirt and grime and up to my eyes in dirty laundry.  In the thick of cleaning (and looking quite haggard I might add) I remembered "oh no I'm out of swiffer cleaner!!"  I thought to myself how in the world am I going to mop since I'm sure as heck not getting cleaned up just to go to the store to buy cleaning solution.  Enter what I thought was an original idea of refilling the Swiffer bottle with my own cleaning solution.  I tried as hard as I could to get that darn cap off the bottle.  It wasn't going to budge.  Then I thought "I cannot be the only person to wonder about this" so I Googled it!  Here is a video of how to take the cap off! Who knew it only took like 15 seconds in boiling water!?

It worked perfectly! Then I went in search for a homemade cleaning solution.  I used my own concoction but loosely based on the one posted here.  I had a smaller bottle to mix in which was only 12 oz and put in about 1/8 cup white vinegar and 1/2 tsp baby shampoo fill the rest of the bottle with warm water (not sure if it's important to be warm or not but I think it helped to dissolve the baby shampoo).  It worked like a wonder!  No streaking or anything on the tile floor! Linoleum looked good too.  

Now seriously, I can't believe I bought these before now and didn't know I could do it myself!!  I am going to use up the Costco size box of the pads that I bought back in Virginia but as soon as they are gone I'm going to use the tutorial here on turning a cloth baby diaper (I used them as burp cloths when Hayden was a baby) into a pad.  Seems super easy!  Or on Tipnut they have a whole slew of knitting and crochet patterns (which of course appeal to me! ha) Why spend money on things that you can make yourself! And so simply too! :)  Hope this is helpful to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment